About

SWG Fuel For Life Donation

RESCUING AND SAVING LIVES SINCE 1958

VVAPL Humane Society provides shelter to homeless animals relinquished by their guardians, rescued from abuse or neglect and stray or abandoned animals.

VVAPL’s mission is to provide and maintain a safe, clean and humane environment for the unwanted animals in the Victor Valley communities.  All animals will be treated with respect and care, and their stay will be as comfortable as possible. No abuse will be tolerated.

We are a nonprofit 501(c)(3) agency, not funded or controlled by any government or national animal welfare organization.  Our programs, low-cost services, and community education programs are funded through donations, fundraising, grants, endowments, foundations and service fees.

Our top priority is the welfare of our animals.  We strive to place 150 pets in their forever homes every month and to continue...

Making a Difference One Life at a Time

VVAPL EARLY HISTORICAL TIMELINE

1956:  An informal group of less than a dozen met with Larry Andrews, field representative of the National Humane Society about the need for an animal shelter and animal welfare program.  His advice:

1.  Lay a solid organizational groundwork:  charter, incorporation, by-laws, board of directors, etc.
2.  Don’t underestimate the value of spay program, as this has proved to be a tremendously successful way of cutting down on the cost of shelter maintenance and painlessly reducing the numbers of unwanted pets.

1958:  Victor Valley Animal Protective League (VVAPL) incorporated as a nonprofit.

1959:  The main goal was to build an animal shelter centrally located, preferably near downtown Victorville since they served the entire Victor Valley.

1960:  Mrs. Norma Anderson, a WWII test and transport pilot for the  Women’s Air Forces Services Pilots (WASP) was elected board president.

In December, Newton T. Bass’ Apple Valley Foundation donated 5 acres on the corner of Zuni and Navajo roads.

1962:  Dorothy K. Thomas, wife of popular Opera singer John Charles Thomas, was elected board president.  She was instrumental in the formation of VVAPL.

Although it did not happen, the original plan was to call the shelter the High Desert Humane Society

April 1962:  VVAPL opened the first animal shelter in the Victor Valley.

May 12, 1962:  VVAPL held a Dedication Ceremony.

Document dated around 1962-1963 had the following information: 

Who:  The organization started as an expressed desire of John Charles Thomas at his death.  (Thomas was a popular American Opera, Operetta and Concert Baritone.  His wife Dorothy K. Thomas was a driving force in Victor Valley Animal Protective League becoming a reality.)

Purpose:  To carry on a program of humane education and to provide and maintain a suitable animal shelter in the Victor Valley area.

March 1980:  In order to control pet overpopulation, VVAPL’s dream of a Spay/Neuter Clinic became a reality and was dedicated to Jane Dollar.  VVAPL also opened a weekly Vaccine Clinic.

TODAY:  We are called VVAPL Humane Society.